I have watched the game twice now, once live once on the replay. Read the analysis from different people and have made my own quick opinions.
1. At first appearence the O-line looked bad, but on second viewing some of those sacks they gave up were either coverage sacks or David Garrard not getting rid of the ball. Unfortuanately since the local affiliate (damn you CBS 47) had such terrible camera work I couldn't tell which it was.
2. David did not look good. He was not accurate or sharp. could be new receivers, rust or many other things. I will reserve judgment until the next 2 games.
3. Todd Bouman looks like a backup. But then again he has pretty much always been one.
4. Paul Smith has talent. I could really see the Jaguars cutting Bouman and keeping Smith and going with 2 QB's. It is a rebuilding year so why the heck not? Figure out if Smith can be a QB in the league, give him some reps.
5. The RB position is much stronger then I thought it was. MJD, Greg Jones, Rashad Jennings, Chauncey Washington, Montell Owens, Alvin Peermen, Brock Bolen cannot all make the team. Owens is a special teams standout, but Peermen can run back kicks and play St's also. Bolen probably is practice squad bound. It is going to be interesting to see who they keep out of Washington and Jennings. Washington has more special teams experience but they had Jannings running back kicks. And Jennings is a big Mo' fo'. He runs a little to upright but he could be a hidden talent.
6. Some WR looked good others dissapointed. Torry Holt did not dissapoint or impress which I guess is good for someone coming off injury. Mike Walker didn;t play, huge dissapointment. He is going to get cut I think. Troy Williamson continues his career as a preseason wonder, can he carry it over? Nate Hughes is another preseason flasher. He looks the best of all the WR this camp and preseason. I think he amkes the team. I expected more out of Jarret Dillard and Tiquan Underwood. Underwood has the size and speed you rarely find but he is raw raw raw. Practice squad bound most probably. Like to see Mike Thomas get on the field for the next game.
7. TE's imppressive. Marcedes had some stone hands a few times but blocked well. Zack Miller looked very impressive. Gregg Estandia was OK. He is a big man though and can block.
8. Scobee looked great. He will rebound from a down year last year and the Jaguars may reaaly use him a lot.
9. Speaking of Josh Scobee WTF special teams. 3 tackles for Scobee and one for Steve Weatherford. They better get their act together.
10 Steve Weathorford is going to take the punting job from Adam Podlesh and another draft pick is wasted.
11. The D-line looked better then I thought it would but still many questions. Big Jon looked good and Terrance Knighton is going to prove to be a huge draft pick. Derrick Landri put on weight but still looked quick. He dominated the second and third team O-line. Rob Meier didn't impress. He may get cut in favor of Atiyyah Ellison. Quentin Groves rushed the passer pretty good but needs to develop an inside move or a spin move, he gets forced around the QB to easy. Derrick Harvey moved well. DE's were ok. I really like the potential of Julius Williams but don;t know if there will be a roster spot for him.
12. Love the 3-4 looks! They have the ability to really confuse some opposing teams
13. Our linebacking corps are some of the best in the league. Justin Durant injured his hip so hopefully he will be OK. Smith, Ingram, Thomas Williams, and Brian Iwuh are solid. Johny willimas (a Fletcher product I think) is trying his best to make the team.
14. Finally, Eugene Monroe is going to be the best Jags lineman since Tony Bosselli. He was dominant. I know he didn;t play against any starters but you could see it. He dominated after 2 days of practicing with the team. I was in favor of taking BJ Raji but have completely been turned on that pick. Eben Britton looked OK. Lots of rookie mistakes, weak technique, but he can learn those things.
Looking forward to the untelevised preseaon game this Saturday. Hope everyone can make it. comments always appreciated!